Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Breast Reductions to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.click here
Having a breast reduction can save your back by eliminating back pain due to the excess weight of large breasts. Coverage is determined by a ratio of breast to body size provided by your insurance carrier. We no longer participate in insurance cases.
Why Undergo a Breast Reduction
- Pain Reduction: Most patients electing to have breast reduction surgery complain of upper back, neck and shoulder pain related to large heavy breasts.
- Body Consciousness: Many women are uncomfortable with a too large breast size which can result in difficulty wearing clothing or appearing heavier than they actually are, which leads to self-consciousness.
It is common for patients to report immediate relief of their back and neck symptoms. Many of our patients undergo a breast reduction as part of a Mommy Makeover following pregnancy and nursing, and are completely thrilled with the results. The first step is a consultation with Dr. Wells.
- Surgery: Breast reduction is an outpatient procedure, and Dr. Wells performs surgeries in a hospital setting. Dr. Wells prefers a hospital setting for the safety and comfort of the patient. The surgery takes about 3 hours under general anesthetic.
- The Procedure: It is commonly performed by making an incision near the areola, which then extends downward and across the crease beneath the breast. Dr. Wells then removes excess tissue, fat, and skin, along with moving the areola and nipple into their new position. The skin is then stretched around the areola, forming the new contours of the patient’s breasts.
- Retaining Sensation: Ideally, but not always, the nipple will remain attached to all nerves and blood vessels, usually resulting in the preservation of sensation.
- The Results: With the breast lifted and the areola made smaller, the end result is not only smaller breast size, but also a significant improvement in the appearance of the breasts.
- Follow up: Most of our patients are seen for a follow-up the next day, with another follow-up the following week. Additional follow-ups are scheduled at 1 week, 3 weeks, 3 months and 6 months.
- Resuming Activity: As with other breast surgeries, most patients can return to work in about a week. They can begin participating in sports and intense exercise in about four weeks.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
- Elimination of Pain: Large breasts can cause muscle pain simply from carrying additional weight, so removing excess tissue with breast reduction surgery will lighten the load. Many patients report an immediate cessation of pain following surgery.
- Preventing Back and Neck Injury: Back, shoulder and neck pain can also lead to more severe problems down the line, including injury. This is why most insurance plans cover the procedure.
- Correcting Poor Posture: Many women with larger breasts find it difficult to stand up straight all the time. The weight forces their shoulders to droop, and lends to a poor overall appearance. Posture is one of the most critical elements in presenting a confident, beautiful appearance, and breast reduction surgery can lend a hand in achieving that difference.
Watch Dr. Wells Explain Breast Reduction Surgery
"Before Voluma everyone was always asking me if I was sick or sad – and that’s enough to make you sad. After Voluma I get “Hello” and “How are you”, no more sick and sad, just a lot of smiles. I never smiled before Voluma, now I can’t stop smiling."—Cynthia
"Susan does all my skin care and this is the best my face has ever looked. I wish I had come to her years ago. She is honest, not pushy, gives you options and is very concerned. She wants to make you feel good."—Mary
"Susan and Rachael do all my skin care and this is the best my face has every looked. I wish I had come here years ago. They are honest, not pushy, give you options and are very concerned about making you feel good."—Mary
"My experience with Dr. Wells and his team was amazing. I was always treated like family, yet professional at the same time. I appreciate Dr. Wells and his surgical team boosting my self-confidence, especially the moment I walked through the surgery center door. Thank you Dr. Wells for helping me love my body again."—Brittany
"Dr. Wells and his staff surpassed any expectations I had. They were with me with each step of the process. The kindness and compassion shown went above and beyond. They are truly the best and the results are fantastic. I am so thankful for my experience."—Leslie
"Wonderful Doctor & staff…great experience and amazing results. Thank you for everything."—Amanda
"I love the results of my surgery. I would tell any mother that is thinking of having Mommy Makeover surgery to do this for herself. I also LOVE Dr. Wells and his staff – they were all great."—Lisa
"I had great big bags under my eyes that had become permanent after a sad period in my life. Rejuvapen literally swept the bags away and made my under eyes smooth again. I couldn't believe it!"—Christi
"For my chronic acne Susan began treatments on my face including chemical peels that put my skin in the freshest, best shape possible to allow my skin to heal. After a month and a half my skin was completely clear."—Rachel
"Building on Dr. Wells' reconstruction work, Susan Wells accentuated my chin by using Juvederm to give it additional contours and a very natural look. I am beyond thrilled and honestly amazed at how good I look now."—Stacey
"I was always embarrassed to go to the pool or the beach because of all the hair on my back. I was constantly shaving where I could before I went out. Having Laser Hair Reduction on my back has been life changing. I literally feel like a new man."—Reed