When a person has protruding or larger ears this can be corrected with an otoplasty. This procedure sets prominent ears farther back on the head. Often referred to as ear pinning, it is possible to also reshape, reduce size, and make ears more symmetrical. This procedure is a much appreciated correction for patients of all ages. Adults may choose this surgery in conjunction with other facial plastic surgical procedures, but patients of all ages are thrilled with their results.
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Otoplasty to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.
This surgery, along with rhinoplasty, is one of the few plastic surgeries that can be recommended for children. We will even perform this surgery on a patient as young as five years of age. It can reduce teasing and bring about much increased self-esteem and confidence in their very important early school years. When done early children can avoid the trauma of bullying over their protruding ears.
Read Ryland’s story on the “Our Patients. Their Stories.” page on this site to see what a difference this can make in a young person’s life.
The Otoplasty Procedure
- The Consultation: Your first step is to have a consultation with Dr. Wells to discuss otoplasty and to answer all your questions about the surgery and recovery.
- The Surgery: An incision is made on the back of each ear. Small portions of tissue and fat are removed. Cartilage is reshaped moved into is new position and sutured into place.
- No Overnight Stay: This is an outpatient procedure, but as with all Dr. Wells’ surgeries is performed in a hospital setting.
- Post Operative Care: You will experience temporary swelling and bandages should remain on for the prescribed time period.
- Resuming Activities: Recovery is very minor. Ears will appear normal within two weeks. You can resume daily activities within a week, but contact sports and vigorous activity should be avoided for 6-8 weeks.
Benefits of an Otoplasty
Self Confidence: Ear surgery creates a natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.*
Better Students: Children actually do better in school when they don’t feel that unwanted attention is on them and when they aren’t self-conscious.*
Not Having to Hide Your Ears: Patients who have said they would never wear a ponytail or hat because of their protruding ears have no reason to be self-conscious anymore. Plus, a lifetime of great photographs without worrying about your ears is something to look forward to.*
*individual results and experience may vary
Before and After by Ryland, age 5