Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Facelifts to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Facelifts to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.click here
When the effects of aging become more than what topical creams or cosmetic injectables can resolve, a facelift may be the best option to ensure you age with grace. When a qualified surgeon performs the procedure properly, the results can rejuvenate your facial appearance with a subtle yet significant outcome.
Dr. Henry Wells Jr. is a board-certified plastic surgeon who commits his expertise in providing patients with long-lasting facial beauty by correcting the changes which result from the natural aging process.
Facial rejuvenation is more than just a facelift – it’s where your journey begins. When people hear the term facelift, many envision walking into a surgeon’s office and walking out looking younger. Unfortunately, this is not how it works. A facelift involves many different aspects of a person’s appearance. Making a person’s face look younger than it presently appears is more of a process than a simple surgery, but it begins with the facelift.
Fortunately, nature doesn’t always have the last word on a person’s appearance. Advances in plastic surgery can return a person’s look of youthfulness. One of the most important aspects of having a facelift is it gives patients the confidence they had when they were younger. Appearance is the first impression we give to others. When a person looks older and more tired than they are, this is what others will see.
In addition to a facelift, there are other procedures to consider which go hand in hand with surgery, depending on each particular case to achieve optimum results. Plus, there are great non-surgical treatment options which can enhance your facelift results and bring back a more youthful appearance.
- Brow Lift
- Eye Lift - upper &/or lower
- Lower Face & Neck Lift
- Neck Lift
- Lip Lift
- Fat Grafting
- Sculptra to restore volume
- Botox and Dysport neurotoxins
- Chemical Peels and Laser treatments
- HydraFacial MD
- Radio Frequency and Cryotherapy
- Medical-grade skin care products
These options can greatly enhance the quality of the skin by erasing wrinkles and fine lines, decreasing hyperpigmentation, adding lost volume and much more.
The Facelift Procedure
- The Consultation: During a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Wells will help you determine your cosmetic goals and the best steps to reach them. He typically spends a full hour on a consult to ensure he answers all your questions and addresses your concerns.
- The Surgery: If multiple treatments are necessary, the procedure typically begins with the facelift, and depending on the extent of the work, may require four to eight hours to complete.
- Outpatient Surgery: Dr. Wells typically performs facelifts as an outpatient procedure, depending on the patients’ needs.
- Post-Operative Care: Our staff will keep the patient informed on each step of the recovery process, including monitoring post-operative swelling. Patients may shower and shampoo after 48 hours. Visible sutures will be removed on the seventh day following the operation. Also, the team will use ultrasound therapy to help the healing process.
- Resuming Activities: You can apply makeup seven days after surgery. The Wells Skin Care team will step in and help with camouflage makeup to use during recovery. Expect to resume normal activities within two to three weeks.
Why Undergo a Facelift
- Age: Age plays the greatest role in the appearance and the need to have a facelift, but genetics and skin type play their part.
- Sagging Jowls & Sallow Cheeks: With aging, we lose fat and facial volume, resulting in sagging jowls and sallow or sunken cheeks.
- Over-exposure to the sun: Sun exposure damages the skin, causing it to become wrinkled and lose its elasticity, increasing the appearance of aging.
Facelift Before & After Photos
Click to see Lexington plastic surgeon Dr. Wells’ before and after photos for facelift surgery.
- The typical candidate for facelift surgery is a patient whose facial skin has wrinkles and lines about the mid-face and can notice the emergence of jowls and banding of the neck. A well-defined, strong bone structure is crucial for a good outcome. Patients are good candidates when their weight is stable, are in good general health, and don’t smoke. A patient must have realistic expectations and a positive outlook to achieve optimal results.
- How long does a facelift last?
- Facelift results vary from patient to patient, depending on individual lifestyle, amount of sun exposure, skin tone, and skin elasticity. However, most patients can expect the results to last from eight to 10 years. Even after a decade, the patient will still look younger than if they did not have the procedure. A follow-up procedure is possible after ten years.
- Is their pain involved with a Facelift?
- Most patients are surprised at how tolerable facelift surgery is regarding pain. You may experience some initial minor discomfort. Dr. Wells will prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort following facelift surgery. It is rare for patients to complain about unmanageable pain after facelift surgery, although tightness may be prevalent for the first few days.
- When should I consider facelift surgery?
- A facelift is a personal decision which requires a customized procedure. With options and techniques available to ensure the desired outcome of each patient, the surgery is available to patients young and old. A consultation will explain what can and cannot be achieved by a facelift. Each patient should understand if their desired results are consistent with the realistic capabilities of facelift surgery. There has been a trend of patients seeking aesthetic help with their facial appearance at younger ages than before. This trending is because less invasive methods are available to fight against the aging process. By choosing facelift surgery at a young age, the results last longer because facial structures are strong.
- Should I wait to have facelift surgery if I am overweight?
- We recommend a patient be at a reasonable weight before considering facelift surgery. Facelift surgery is good for patients who have lost significant weight because of diet and exercise or gastric bypass surgery. The procedure will excise excess skin that sags and repositions underlying tissue.
- Is facelift surgery different for men?
- Male patients are becoming more interested in improving the appearance of their lower faces and necks, as well as their eyes. We see more lower face and neck lifts now in men than ever before. Men want to keep their competitive advantage in the workplace by maintaining a youthful appearance.
- Can I have a facelift if I smoke?
- No. Smoking will affect your capacity to heal negatively. If you smoke, you must quit at least three weeks before surgery and refrain for two weeks afterward. Smoking will decrease circulation and damage the skin. If possible, stopping smoking entirely after your facelift will make your facelift investment last much longer.
- Can a facelift be done with other facial cosmetic procedures?
- A facelift can be done concurrently with a rhinoplasty, eyelift, browlift, neck lift, lip lift or it can be done as a standalone procedure. A patient should discuss with Dr. Wells any aesthetic concerns they may have and decide on a surgical plan to resolve their issues.
Facelift Before & After Photos
Click to see Lexington plastic surgeon Dr. Wells before and after photos for facelift surgery.
*individual results and experience may vary
"Before Voluma everyone was always asking me if I was sick or sad – and that’s enough to make you sad. After Voluma I get “Hello” and “How are you”, no more sick and sad, just a lot of smiles. I never smiled before Voluma, now I can’t stop smiling."
"Susan does all my skin care and this is the best my face has ever looked. I wish I had come to her years ago. She is honest, not pushy, gives you options and is very concerned. She wants to make you feel good."
"My experience with Dr. Wells and his team was amazing. I was always treated like family, yet professional at the same time. I appreciate Dr. Wells and his surgical team boosting my self-confidence, especially the moment I walked through the surgery center door. Thank you Dr. Wells for helping me love my body again."
"Dr. Wells and his staff surpassed any expectations I had. They were with me with each step of the process. The kindness and compassion shown went above and beyond. They are truly the best and the results are fantastic. I am so thankful for my experience."
"Wonderful Doctor & staff…great experience and amazing results. Thank you for everything."
"I love the results of my surgery. I would tell any mother that is thinking of having Mommy Makeover surgery to do this for herself. I also LOVE Dr. Wells and his staff – they were all great."
"I had great big bags under my eyes that had become permanent after a sad period in my life. Rejuvapen literally swept the bags away and made my under eyes smooth again. I couldn't believe it!"
"For my chronic acne Susan began treatments on my face including chemical peels that put my skin in the freshest, best shape possible to allow my skin to heal. After a month and a half my skin was completely clear."
"Building on Dr. Wells' reconstruction work, Susan Wells accentuated my chin by using Juvederm to give it additional contours and a very natural look. I am beyond thrilled and honestly amazed at how good I look now."
"I was always embarrassed to go to the pool or the beach because of all the hair on my back. I was constantly shaving where I could before I went out. Having Laser Hair Reduction on my back has been life changing. I literally feel like a new man."
"I had my brows done back in December, Bailey Rae Hancock is awesome. I have had tons of compliments, wish I had done it sooner!"
"I'll start by saying I'm a 39 year old male and slowly over time I have lost a lot of volume in my face. I'm very happy with the results and Rachel is top notch. Very kind and personable and has treated me with honesty and care. Also very recently I have had flare ups of cystic acne and have been seeing Lisa Combs for that. The first time I saw her I had a chemical peel and a couple weeks ago I had an IPL Acne treatment. My face has not been this clear in a long time. "
"Dr. Wells was wonderful doing my breast reduction/lift surgery. I am so pleased with my results and wish I would have done it sooner! His staff are all so sweet and welcoming. He has great bedside manner as well. "
"The service at Wells is A1. I'm 'Jumping with Joy' over my surgery (gynecomasty). After having my surgery I have a better outlook on life. I feel amazing! The receptionist has treated me kindly and offered water and coffee every single trip!"