What Is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a procedure we perform to correct problem areas in patients that simply won’t go away with diet and exercise. The procedure, contrary to some beliefs, is not an operation for the obese patient.
It is also typically not the best option for the post pregnancy tummy. Typically the best procedure for the post baby tummy is the Abdominoplasty or “Tummy Tuck” combined with liposuction, and you will see the best Abdominoplasty results.
Liposuction Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Liposuctions to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.
Benefits Of Liposuction Include:
- Spot Reduction: There are areas on the body that will store fat no matter how much weight you lose, so spot reduction is not always possible through diet and site-specific exercise alone. Resistance training can only strengthen the muscle underneath the fat – on some people the fat simply cannot be removed this way. Liposuction can provide reduction in specific, site-targeted areas that can’t be reduced any other way.*
- Reshaping of the Patient’s Body: Due to genetics, some of us are destined to carry excess fat in unique areas. This is usually on the undersides of the arms, the sides of the thighs (saddlebags), in the neck (wattle), or on the sides of the waist (muffin top). Though an individual may do all they can to lose weight, these areas may remain hostile to change. Liposuction can reduce this fat, leading to a dramatic change in the patient’s overall appearance and the way their clothes fit.*
- Increased Self Esteem and Confidence: With places on the body an individual is ashamed of, there is a tendency to hide these areas from view. Liposuction can take those problem areas and make them into areas they can be proud to show. This can lead to more confidence and a willingness to wear better fitting clothing and even provide an incentive to exercise and diet.*
Is Liposuction A Good Way To Lose Weight?
A common misconception is that liposuction is “an easy way out” or a lazy person’s route to weight loss. Nothing could be further from the truth. The procedure is not designed or acceptable for those patients who are obese and it is not a magical route to weight loss. Many times people dedicated time and effort to achieving the body they desire, only to find that genetics aren’t playing fair and that they need additional help. Patients should educate themselves so they have realistic expectations for the results of Liposuction.
Liposuction Treatment Areas:
- Saddlebags: Upper outer thighs
- Flanks: Also known a muffin tops
- Upper Inner Thigh: Medial thigh area
- Arms: Under upper arm area
- Back: Problem spots not remedied by exercise
- Knees: When excess fat ‘falls’ over the knee area
- Submental Neck: Removing the fat in the ‘wattle’ for a dramatic effect, known as Submental Liposuction.
Candidates For Liposuction:
- Normal Weight Category: No extreme weight fluctuations or where weight loss goals have been achieved.
- Firm Elastic Skin: Age is not a primary factor, although it is important to understand that older patients may not have the elasticity in their skin to achieve an ideal result.
- Remaining Persistent Areas of Fat: Areas unable to remove through a regimen of proper diet and exercise.
- In Good Physical Health: Always important before undergoing surgery.
How Is Liposuction Surgery Performed?
- The Consultation: An initial consultation with Dr. Wells is always the first step to manage expectations and answer questions. This consult typically takes a full hour to determine goals and what is needed.
- The Procedure: It is performed as an outpatient procedure in Wells in-office Surgical Suite.
- Post-Operative Care: To achieve the best result, patients will need to wear a girdle or compression garment for several weeks following Liposuction surgery.
- Resuming Activities: This procedure will require 7 to 10 days of recovery before returning to work. You should wait three to four weeks before returning to vigorous work or exercise.
*individual results and experience may vary