A Breast Lift, or Mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that aims to raise and firm the breasts. This will provide a restored youthful contour to their appearance and help you regain your confidence. Experiences such as pregnancy, weight loss and breast-feeding can affect the overall shape of your breasts. The natural evolution of breasts over time is to droop due to loss of volume, skin elasticity and the effects of gravity.
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Breast Augmentation to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.
Good Candidates For A Breast Lift
Most women with sagging breasts are good candidates for a Breast Lift. Generally speaking, you should be:
- A non-smoker
- In good health
- At a relatively normal and healthy weight
Why Undergo A Breast Lift
- Pendulous Breasts: These are breasts with a flat and longer shape, even if they are an acceptable size for the patient.
- Lack of Firmness: These are breasts that feel too ‘soft’ and lack substance.
- Downward Pointing Nipples: Some breasts nipples point downwards, and some are even below the breast crease when unsupported by a bra.
- Stretched Skin: This is especially common after weight loss and childbirth.
- Asymmetrical Positioning of the Breast: One breast may be higher or lower than the other.
- Tubular Breasts: Long narrow breasts with large or herniated areola can be repaired with a combined Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation, plus making the areola smaller and more attractive.
The Breast Lift Procedure
- IV Sedation: In most cases you will be asleep under IV Sedation and in our QuadA In-office surgical suite, the safest option for the patient.
- Surgery: With a breast lift, Dr. Wells or Dr. Soni-Kalma will make incisions to remove excess skin in order to reposition the nipples on the breast. He will then reshape the breasts and reposition the tissue. During the surgery the nipple will be moved to the mutually agreed upon natural height, and can be made smaller according to the patient’s preference.
- Closing: Once all skin removal, repositioning and reshaping has been completed, Dr. Wells or Dr. Soni Kalma closes the incision. A supportive dressing will be applied and the following day this will be replaced with a bra.
- Follow up: Breast Lift patients will be seen for a follow-up the next day, with another follow-up in the office the following week. Additional follow-ups are scheduled at 3 weeks, 3 months and 6 months.
- Resuming Activity: Most patients will be able to return to work in about a week. They can begin exercising and participating in sports within about four weeks.