Lower Body Lift
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Lower Body Lifts to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.click here
Those who have realized massive weight loss may find they are unhappy with the appearance of their lower body. Frequently referred to as “Lower Body Lift” or “Belt Lipectomy”, this procedure can provide dramatic results for patients who have lost significant weight and are left with multiple folds of excess skin. Excess skin forms because when an individual is severely overweight, the skin becomes stretched and looses elasticity. This loose skin can be a significant problem for the weight loss patient, especially after they have worked so hard to get to their desired weight.
Dr. Wells of Wells Plastic Surgery was one of the first plastic surgeons in the Lexington, Louisville and Eastern Kentucky area to perform the lower body lift and is one of the few who regularly perform it.
Candidates for a Lower Body Lift:
- Weight Loss: A lower body lift is for patients who have experienced massive weight loss.
- Bariatric Patients: Patients who have had bariatric surgery for weight loss.
In addition to removing excess skin on the torso, the Second Phase (a separate surgery) may include:
- Breast Lift, Reduction or Augmentation, combined with Arm Lift (second surgery)
- Medial Thigh Lift (third surgery)
Other Surgeries (Fourth Surgery) That Can Be Added to Improve Aesthetics:
- Face Lift
The Lower Body Lift Procedure:
- The Consultation: During a consultation with Dr. Wells – a board certified plastic surgeon – you will discuss the lower body lift as well as other procedures you may need to achieve your goals due to your specific amount of weight loss. You will be guided through the protocols of a lower body lift as well as what to expect during the surgery and their need for follow up care.
- The Surgery: The procedure(s) can be lengthy with the first phase taking between four and five hours, and the second phase can also last two to five hours, depending on the performed surgeries and the amount of work to be done. The first step of a lower body lift at Wells Plastic Surgery is to remove the excess skin from the circumference of the lower torso while lifting the thighs and buttocks and tightening the abdominal muscles to help return the body to a more natural contour.
- Overnight Stay: An overnight hospital stay is necessary due to the longer surgery.
- Recovery: Typically, recovery from the operations can take two to four weeks per surgery depending on the individual’s health and ability to recover. Since the surgery involves an incision that typically extends completely around the lower torso, there will be visible scarring that will fade over time but the results are well worth the trade off. These can be covered under swim trunks or something as small as bikini bottoms.
- Resuming Activities: It is important to know that you will be off work with each surgery. With the lower body lift, you will be off for three weeks, with breast surgery 2-3 weeks and with a medial thigh lift an additional three weeks.
Those who are continuing to lose weight or are planning another pregnancy are usually advised to delay having a lower body lift, as additional pregnancies may cause the abdominal muscles to stretch again.
The results of a lower body lift can be more than an improvement to a person’s physical experience and has often been described as a life-changing experience. The dramatic results can add confidence as well as an improved appearance.
"Before Voluma everyone was always asking me if I was sick or sad – and that’s enough to make you sad. After Voluma I get “Hello” and “How are you”, no more sick and sad, just a lot of smiles. I never smiled before Voluma, now I can’t stop smiling."—Cynthia
"Susan does all my skin care and this is the best my face has ever looked. I wish I had come to her years ago. She is honest, not pushy, gives you options and is very concerned. She wants to make you feel good."—Mary
"My experience with Dr. Wells and his team was amazing. I was always treated like family, yet professional at the same time. I appreciate Dr. Wells and his surgical team boosting my self-confidence, especially the moment I walked through the surgery center door. Thank you Dr. Wells for helping me love my body again."—Brittany
"Dr. Wells and his staff surpassed any expectations I had. They were with me with each step of the process. The kindness and compassion shown went above and beyond. They are truly the best and the results are fantastic. I am so thankful for my experience."—Leslie
"Wonderful Doctor & staff…great experience and amazing results. Thank you for everything."—Amanda
"I love the results of my surgery. I would tell any mother that is thinking of having Mommy Makeover surgery to do this for herself. I also LOVE Dr. Wells and his staff – they were all great."—Lisa
"I had great big bags under my eyes that had become permanent after a sad period in my life. Rejuvapen literally swept the bags away and made my under eyes smooth again. I couldn't believe it!"—Christi
"For my chronic acne Susan began treatments on my face including chemical peels that put my skin in the freshest, best shape possible to allow my skin to heal. After a month and a half my skin was completely clear."—Rachel
"Building on Dr. Wells' reconstruction work, Susan Wells accentuated my chin by using Juvederm to give it additional contours and a very natural look. I am beyond thrilled and honestly amazed at how good I look now."—Stacey
"I was always embarrassed to go to the pool or the beach because of all the hair on my back. I was constantly shaving where I could before I went out. Having Laser Hair Reduction on my back has been life changing. I literally feel like a new man."—Reed
"I had my brows done back in December, Bailey Rae Hancock is awesome. I have had tons of compliments, wish I had done it sooner!"—Susan