Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of Otoplasty to see real patient results at Wells Plastic Surgery.click here
When a person has protruding or larger ears, this can be corrected with an otoplasty, which sets prominent ears farther back on the head. Often referred to as ear pinning, it is possible not only to pin back ears, but also reshape, reduce size, and make ears more symmetrical. This procedure is a much appreciated correction for patients of all ages.
Adults may choose this surgery in conjunction with other facial plastic surgical procedures, but patients of all ages are thrilled with their results. This surgery, along with rhinoplasty, is one of the few plastic surgeries that can be recommended for children, even as young as five years of age. It can eliminate teasing and bring about much increased self-esteem and confidence in their very important school years. When done early, children can avoid the trauma of bullying over their protruding ears.
Read Ryland’s story on the “Our Patients. Their Stories.” page on this site to see what a difference this can make in a young person’s life.
The Otoplasty Procedure
- The Consultation: Your first step is to have a consultation with Dr. Wells to discuss otoplasty and to answer all your questions about the surgery and recovery.
- The Surgery: An incision is made on the back of each ear. Small portions of tissue and fat are removed. Cartilage is reshaped moved into is new position and sutured into place.
- No Overnight Stay: This is an outpatient procedure, but as with all Dr. Wells’ surgeries is performed in a hospital setting.
- Post Operative Care: You will experience temporary swelling and bandages should remain on for the prescribed time period.
- Resuming Activities: Recovery is very minor. Ears will appear normal within two weeks. You can resume daily activities within a week, but contact sports and vigorous activity should be avoided for 6-8 weeks.
Benefits of an Otoplasty
- Self Confidence: Ear surgery creates a natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
- Better Students: Children actually do better in school when they don’t feel that unwanted attention is on them and when they aren’t self-conscious.
- Not Having to Hide Your Ears: Patients who have said they would never wear a ponytail or hat because of their protruding ears have no reason to be self-conscious anymore. Plus, a lifetime of great photographs without worrying about your ears is something to look forward to.
Before and After by Ryland, age 5
"Before Voluma everyone was always asking me if I was sick or sad – and that’s enough to make you sad. After Voluma I get “Hello” and “How are you”, no more sick and sad, just a lot of smiles. I never smiled before Voluma, now I can’t stop smiling."—Cynthia
"Susan does all my skin care and this is the best my face has ever looked. I wish I had come to her years ago. She is honest, not pushy, gives you options and is very concerned. She wants to make you feel good."—Mary
"My experience with Dr. Wells and his team was amazing. I was always treated like family, yet professional at the same time. I appreciate Dr. Wells and his surgical team boosting my self-confidence, especially the moment I walked through the surgery center door. Thank you Dr. Wells for helping me love my body again."—Brittany
"Dr. Wells and his staff surpassed any expectations I had. They were with me with each step of the process. The kindness and compassion shown went above and beyond. They are truly the best and the results are fantastic. I am so thankful for my experience."—Leslie
"Wonderful Doctor & staff…great experience and amazing results. Thank you for everything."—Amanda
"I love the results of my surgery. I would tell any mother that is thinking of having Mommy Makeover surgery to do this for herself. I also LOVE Dr. Wells and his staff – they were all great."—Lisa
"I had great big bags under my eyes that had become permanent after a sad period in my life. Rejuvapen literally swept the bags away and made my under eyes smooth again. I couldn't believe it!"—Christi
"For my chronic acne Susan began treatments on my face including chemical peels that put my skin in the freshest, best shape possible to allow my skin to heal. After a month and a half my skin was completely clear."—Rachel
"Building on Dr. Wells' reconstruction work, Susan Wells accentuated my chin by using Juvederm to give it additional contours and a very natural look. I am beyond thrilled and honestly amazed at how good I look now."—Stacey
"I was always embarrassed to go to the pool or the beach because of all the hair on my back. I was constantly shaving where I could before I went out. Having Laser Hair Reduction on my back has been life changing. I literally feel like a new man."—Reed